How to Work with Millennials
Millennial is a state of mind
When They Can’t Think for Themselves
Answer his question. Walk him to any one of twenty garbage cans that are kept in obvious places. Like against the wall every ten feet. Or under every desk in the whole damn office.
- Level 1 kindness: Oh! I am so glad you asked that! We have strategically placed garbage cans throughout the office, and one of your first tasks today is to look around and see if you can spot one.
- Level 2 neutral: I appreciate that you asked, but we have a company culture here of figuring out things on your own first before asking. Would you mind looking around and seeing if you can find a garbage can on your own?
- Level 3 snarky: Seriously, dude? Use your eyeballs.
Which is better?
- He comes late because no one has told him firmly that he can’t
- He asks for an office and a raise because no one has told him firmly that he can’t
- He hangs out on his phone when he should be working because no one has told him firmly that he can’t
How to Solve Your Employee Problems with a Spreadsheet